Friends of Pittencrieff Park
(Friends of the Glen)

Pittencrieff Park and Glen

Pittencrieff Park, known locally as `The Glen`, once formed part of the Pittencrieff Estate which over centuries has been the home of successive lairds of Pittencrieff, until it was purchased in 1902 by the famous Dunfermline-born, American – based, philanthropist Andrew Carnegie and gifted to the townspeople of Dunfermline.

Andrew Carnegie had been born only a stone`s throw from the park and had memories of sneaking in to play in what was essentially the laird`s private estate. He felt very strongly that all the people of Dunfermline should be able to enjoy the delights of this beautiful area and this resulted in his magnanimous gift in 1902. A statue in his honour was erected by public subscription in 1914.


Dunfermline was once the seat of the kings of Scotland and has many royal connections. The remains of Malcolm Canmore`s Tower (thought to date back to the 11th century when it was the royal residence of Malcolm and his Queen, Margaret) can still be seen in the park, as can the ruins of the royal palace (13th century). There is also William Wallace`s Well, thought to have been used by Wallace when he was hiding in a cave in the Glen from English soldiers, and the remains of St Catherine`s Hospital and almshouse, possibly dating back to the 13/14th century.


Pittencrieff Park extends to some 76 acres with a host of facilities to enjoy, including open parkland, sparkling burn and waterfall, formal gardens, glasshouses, secluded woodland areas, a small Italian sunken garden with a fountain and lily pond, children`s play areas and picnic areas as well as the historic features and an abundance of wildlife. Fine views of the Abbey and of the Forth Bridges may be enjoyed from many parts of the park. A modern child-friendly cafe is open all year round, and the elegant Peacock Pavilion can be hired for functions and weddings.


Perhaps the most famous feature of Pittencrieff Park is its majestic peacocks which strut about the park as if they owned the place - they probably do !
More...